SMM Zn Survey: Output at Domestic Zinc Smelters Expected to Fall in January

SHANGHAI, Feb. 8 (SMM) -- A recent SMM survey of 39 zinc smelters (total capacity: 4.715 million mt/yr; idled capacity: 120 kt/yr) revealed the following insights:

1) Operating Rates

According to the survey, output at the 39 zinc smelters during January was 319.8 kt, with an average operating rate of 83.5%.  Operating rates at smelters with capacity between 100-200 kt/yr (including 100 kt/yr and 200 kt/yr) were 90.9%, with a total output of 145 kt in January.  Operating rates at smelters with capacity greater than 200 kt/yr were 79.1%, with a total output of 114 kt in January.  Finally, operating rates at smelters with capacity of 20-100 kt/yr were 76.8% during January, with a total output of 61 kt.

SMM believes weather conditions were responsible for differences in operating rates at zinc smelters.  A limited number of zinc smelters in Yunnan, Guangxi, and Sichuan provinces were negatively affected by shortages of electric power due to the lack of rainfall needed for hydroelectric power generation, including Yunnan Luoping Zinc & Electricity Company (120 kt/yr), Yunnan Chihong Zinc & Germanium Company (160 kt/yr), Xichang Heli Zinc Company (60 kt/yr), Hechi Nanfang Non-ferrous Metal Smelt Company (80 kt/yr), etc.  As a result of the power shortages, operating rates at medium and small smelters with capacity less than 200 kt/yr were relatively low.

2) Raw Material and Zinc Ingot Inventories

According to the SMM survey, virtually all smelters say raw material supply is sufficient, with  raw material inventories held by some smelters able to meet 2-3 months production needs.

Zinc prices have experienced significant changes from December 2009 to January 2010, with prices plunging to RMB 17,000/mt from a high of RMB 22,000/mt since January 6th.  In response, zinc smelters cut volumes and frequency of deliveries.  Meanwhile, transportation bottlenecks caused by passenger traffic around the Chinese New Year holiday also helped increase zinc inventories at smelters.

The survey reveals that only 18% of smelters say they have little or no inventories, while the remaining 82% of smelters say zinc inventories are relatively high.  This 82% is up significantly to SMM’s survey in December 2009.  SMM predicts zinc ingot inventories will grow  by 50-100 kt after the Chinese New Year holiday since zinc smelters will continue normal operations during the holiday.

To contact the writer on this report: monicagao@smm.cn

 

Copyright © SMM. All Rights Reserved

None of this material may be used for any commercial or public use in any forms or means, without the prior written consent of SMM. For reproduction issue, please contact us by email: service.en@smm.cn

公司声明:本文为上海有色网原创,未经书面授权,任何人不得以任何形式传播、发布、复制(包括但不限于行情数据、价格信息、市场统计信息等);如需授权,请联系021-51666829;上海有色网保留对任何侵权行为和有悖本文原意的引用行为进行追究的权利。上海有色网提供的信息旨在为客户决策提供参考,并不构成对客户决策的直接建议,客户应当谨慎决策,勿以此代替自主独立判断,客户所作出的任何决策与上海有色网无关。

微信二维码今日有色
微信二维码

微信扫一扫关注

下载app掌上有色
掌上有色

掌上有色下载

返回顶部返回顶部